Just read a thought-provoking article by Amy McCarthy with advice for PR professionals from journalists. It includes the usual advice, but the tone of the article made me wonder if the “Journalist v. PR person” issue was a serious one for either party, or if it is just that the repetition of silly mistakes becomes annoying.
Are you a journalist or PR professional? What is your take on the issue? Do you have any advice for either party?
Here are McCarthy’s suggestions for PR folk:
- Do your homework
- Do not mislead the journalist
- Understand that journalists are busy
- Fact check, Spell-check, Grammar check
- Make sure it’s actually newsworthy
Here are Tracy Bagatelle-Black’s tips from PR pros to journalists:
- Answer the phone
- It’s ok to say no
- Email PR folks back
- Don’t judge the entire agency based on one bad experience
- Keep your profiles up-to-date so people are contacting you with the correct pitches