I love this article by Katie Paine that discusses the myths of social media. Any small business (or even a large business!) can benefit from learning these myths. I also love how she ties in the history of the telephone and computer to give the issue some perspective. Please do yourself a favor and read the article!
The Eight Great Myths
- One person or department needs to own social media
- Social media is having a Facebook page
- Impressions mean people are aware of your product or message
- Having followers does not mean you are influencing people
- Having a lot of “likes” does not mean you are influencing behavior
- Engagement may not affect your ROI depending on your goals
- Sales may not be the most important part of social media
- How someone feels about your company may not affect your bottom line
Can you think of any others she may have missed? Do you agree that these are myths?